Why Coaching?

There are a number of reasons that coaching makes the most sense for individuals and organizations when it comes to professional growth and personal development.

Not One Size Fits All

A lot of organizations prefer to send their people to courses or conferences because there is a tangible input (if not output) to such things.  In other words, it is usually obvious when someone has actually gone to a course or conference and the assumption is that having attended the event, the individual will bring something home of value.

What is undeniable however is that by definition, these events are a "one size fits all" proposition.  Everyone in the audience will hear the same information, get the same opportunity and learn the same material.

Unfortunately, not everyone will need the same experience because by definition, everyone will be in a slightly different situation, have a different background and so on.  The "one size fits all" approach is inefficient at ensuring attendees get what they need in the most efficient means possible.  In fact, one of my mentors once told me that if you can take away one or two things from any conference, workshop or course, you would be doing well.  Imagine spending a day or two or even three, to get two things out of it!

Coaching is about you and part of coaching is to ensure you are met "where you are" at that moment.  There is no starting in "grade school" when you are already a university graduate, nor is there any starting at grad school when you are just at the high school level.  Coaching is 100% tailored to you based on where you are in the moment and as a result it is very efficient at meeting your developmental needs.

The 90% Rule

Coaching also makes the 90% rule obsolete.  What is the 90% rule?  Consider this situation.  One hundred people are asked to attend a workshop on a topic of interest, let's say conflict management.

  1. Of those 100 people, only 90% will end up attending due to other priorities or illness.  So, 90 people attend.
  2. Of the 90 that attend, only 90% of those will be interested because the other 10% were told they had to be there. Thus 81 people of the intended 100 are poised to learn.
  3. Of the 81, only 90% will be attentive because of differences in learning style and preference.
  4. Of the 73 remaining, only 90% of those will see the material as relevant to them at this point in time.  So it may be interesting but not meaningful to them.
  5. Of the 66 remaining, only 90% will hear the information correctly due to language barriers, poor sound quality or other impediments, such as other people talking.
  6. Of the 59 people that hear everything correctly, only 90% of those will understand it in the manner in which it was intended.
  7. Of the 53 that understand it correctly, only 90% of them will know how to translate that understanding into some meaningful change in their lives.
  8. Of those 48 people, only 90% will implement the change necessary to realise any benefit.
  9. Of the 43 that do realise any benefit only 90% will do so on an on going basis thus realising sustained growth and on going impact.
  10. So 39 people will get something out of the course designed and paid for, for 100 attendees.  The 90% rule is generous because even fewer than 90% will actually be committed to deploying what they have learned into their organizations. 

So if I were to sell you a training program for 100 employees and you knew that at best only 39 would benefit, would you see this as an efficient and effective use of their time and your money?

Coaching, by virtue of its one on one nature, means that there is 100% attention, focus, commitment to develop and grow.  There is no "sitting at the back of the room".  There are no distractions.  And there is no excuse about the material being relevant to you.

Let's take a closer look at some of the numbers:

The Numbers

Return on investment (ROI)? 86% of coaching clients made at least their investment in coaching back.

Satisfaction with the Service?  99% are either somewhat or very satisfied with the overall experience.

Repeat Customers?  96% of coaching clients would repeat the process.

What do you think?  Are these pretty compelling numbers?  I think they are.


Return to Coaching


Home     Privacy Policy     Site Search     FAQ     LeaderSTEP      Contact Me


Tired of seeing things the same old way?Looking for a way to see things differently from a fresh perspective?

Sign up for my Newsletter "Perspectives" and challenge yourself to see things differently.

And if you are interested in a low cost, low stress, self paced way of improving your life and leadership skills, please check out: Click Here>>> LeaderSTEP. <<<Click Here

LeaderSTEP makes leadership development available to everyone - including you!

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Email Format

View previous campaigns.